Updated: 5 days ago
Credit to Santa.
375g Vostizza currants
500g Dark muscovado sugar
330ml Gold Label barley wine
330ml Mackeson stout
250g White breadcrumbs
250g Morello glace cherries (quartered)
250g Turkish sultanas
250g Thomson raisins
200g Candied peel (chopped)
180g Vegetable suet
115g Self-raising flour
150g Whole blanched almonds (quartered)
150g Hazelnuts (quartered)
4 Eggs (beaten)
1 Whole nutmeg (grated)
1 Orange (zested and juiced)
1 Lemon (zested and juiced)
1 Lime (zested and juiced)
1 Apple (peeled and chopped)
1 Pear (peeled and chopped)
50cl De Lachernaie calvados
1 tspn Mixed spice (heaped)
.25 tspn Cinnamon (heaped)
4 2 pint pudding bowls
Fine cotton string
1. Mix the dried fruit in a bowl.
2. Add the calvados, barley wine, stout, zested/ chopped fruit, juice, nuts and spices. Stir and leave in a cool place overnight, covered.
3. Add the remaining items and stir it up.
4. Thoroughly grease bowls with butter.
5. Divide mix equally into four bowls.
6. Cover each bowl with parchment paper and string.
7. Cover each bowl with aluminium foil and string.
8. Steam gently for 6 hours.
9. Cool overnight.
10. Remove parchment and foil.
11. Add tablespoon of calvados to the top of each pudding.
12. Cover with fresh parchment paper and foil.
13. Store in a cool area until ready to use at Christmas.
14. Can be kept in a cool place for months – you can also add a tablespoon of Calvados every month or two.
15. To serve, steam for 1-2 hours and serve with your choice of sauce. Ours is fresh custard.